Adjustments

I ate breakfast in the bathroom yesterday.

I am sure there must be someone out there who can relate. Really, it only lasted about 30 seconds before E realized where I was and came to find me and the bowl of cereal that was mine (and therefore, his).

But let me back up.....

I had a stomach virus for the last 48 hours of travel. And I decided to try not to sleep much during the 26 hours of airports and planes as we travelled home because I wanted to be tired when we arrived home at 8:30 pm and my body still thought it was 8:30 am. Little did I know that E would wake up terrified about 30 minutes after we went to bed, and the only way he would sleep was if Mom rocked him. So I rocked him ALL NIGHT LONG. (Insert dramatic sigh.)

So by Friday morning, I had had about 4 hours of sleep in 48 hours. With a stomach virus. Not a pretty picture. And my sweet child has attached. As in, he won't let me out of his sight. Perhaps you will better understand when I tell you that today was an improvement. Russ only had to stand outside the shower curtain twice and have me stick my head around and wave. DURING my shower.

Ethan is my shadow.

According to books, this phase could last months or years. Hence the reason I snuck out of the room while Russ was playing with him and took my bowl of cereal to the bathroom for a few short moments of eating alone. Drastic, maybe. But totally necessary.

The good news is that Ethan is doing really well. We have our moments, but each day is better than the last. We have a park close by that he loves, so we have gone there everyday. The terror over being restrained in the carseat seems to have subsided. And he seems to feel more secure with both of us. Being home is wonderful.

Please continue to pray for us. Even though our trip is over, our journey is just beginning!

3 comments:

debbieteague said...

we have prayed, and God has provided so much! will continue for the journey ahead!

Robin said...

Oh Angela honey...your adventures make me smile...I know this is quite an adjustment for you both, but those memories will be so sweet. You are in my heart as I pray for your strength daily. I know that you and Russ will do great with Ethan. I know you will be glad to get out among folks when that time comes. Is there anything Rod or I can do for you guys? Please let us know if we can help in any way.

Sharon said...

So glad you are all home and things are getting better every day. Yes, I remember while taking a bath, our small children would be standing outside the door. Seems as if there is no time for just "Mom time".
Please keep these notes coming. It keeps me from bothering you, but I can still keep up with how and what you are doing. Our prayers are still with you all.